Tuesday 2 June 2015

POEM: What Your Past Memories Can Teach You

In the Name of Allah
 The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful


 
 Bismillah… in Allah’s Name I begin...
 This piece about my ‘childhood memories’.
InshaAllah I shall mention a few
 Of the good times that God has given me.

 This is not to annoy any Muslim –
This is to recall some of the good times
 That Allah blessed me with and so that I
 Thank Allah even more each day and night.

 I remember that time when I haven’t
 Started school –somewhere in east of Saudi
 While waiting for the door to be unlocked,
 I was drinking milk –flavored strawberry -

 In that same apartment I recall some
 Childhood friends playing with us in our flat
 While each of us kids were given –by Mom
 I think- some yummy Twix chocolate bars.

 There too, I recall, my parents praying
 While my bro and I hid in our kids’ tent –
That time I guess took place the Gulf War and
 We had some gas masks –no lie, no pretense…

In Dammam I recall often going
 To King Fahad Park with my family
 With friends too –picnicking there and riding
 Swan boats, trains… rides of a variety.

 Often we’ve slept over at friends’ homes when
 Going to Dammam from Riyadh City,
 With the various cars we’ve had in Saudi -
 White Toyota, black, silver and Audi.

 I recall while on our car journeys how
 I enjoyed gazing at the starry skies
 Passing by sand dunes and rocky mountains,
 Camels of different colors and size.

 And I recall how our friends from Dammam
 Would come to our house in Riyadh city-
 We’d have a gathering… dine together
 In villas of different qualities.

 In Saudi, MashaAllah, we had friends
 From almost every country of the world –
Brothers and sisters who all speak English –
Of various colors and age –young and old.

 When I was young –even to my late teens,
 My bros and I enjoyed watching T.V.
 Islamic programs in Arabic and
 English - and old shows like Sesame Street.

 I too recall that time when I sent a
 Fax letter to an Islamic show ‘Live’...
 ‘Twas an Arabic Fatawa program
 Where answers to my questions were derived -
 About wearing the face-veil when outside,
 Yes, it’s wajib –by Allah’s Rules abide.

 Alhamdulillah, as a kid, I have
 Traveled to many different countries – 
Chatted with friendly strangers often –at
 Airports, stations –with those who sat near me.

 I recall that time when my bro Ahmad
 And I were running around the airplane
  With a brunette whose English I could not
 Understand, and who was about our age.

 MashaAllah, in many of our tours
 As a kid, there were sweet and thrilling times…
Like when my bro and I unwillingly rode
 That log flume ride to reach the other side.

 I recall traveling to Denmark with
 My bros and my Mom to meet my Dad there,
 How we stayed at a nice house and how on
 The way I had to leave my necklace hare.

 In Denmark at the arrival I still
 Recall seeing Dad smiling at us four,
 Then riding a large bus then a small cab
 And meeting a joyful dog at the door,

 Whose name is Jasper… can you imagine…
How his name and breed I still remember,
 And how the weather there was really cold,
 How in the garden we played much soccer.

 In Denmark I too remember my Dad
 Buying us chocolates from a sweets store,
 Among them Toblerone, Mars and Bounty, some
 Round containers of candies and much more.

 In the house we stayed in –for about a
 Month, my brothers and I loved to explore,
 From books, knitting needles, yarns, sewing kits…
Especially had fun playing outdoors.

 MashaAllah –more memories from my
 Childhood include exploring Disneyland,
 Walt Disney World, Universal Studios,
 And Euro Disneyland in Paris, France,

 Seeing statues of ‘celebs’ in the wax
 Museum in the city of London.
 Clowns shaping balloons in HongKong, going
 To zoos, planetariums and aquariums.

 MashaAllah –more memories include
 Me playing arm wrestling with Saudi friends
 At the public school I went to –and the
 Many packs of gum that I’d bring and lend.

 At the schools I’ve been to I was known for
 Chewing and sharing gum almost each day
 That a British-Saudi friend of mine called
 Me “Bubblegum Princess” -’twas my nickname!

 I recall how often I’d take the lead
 In playing social games like Truth or Dare,
 How I’ve performed many times on stage and
 The many uniforms I used to wear,

 And that time when I baked chocolate cake...
‘Twas heart-shaped, had rainbow sprinkles on top,
 Gave slices of cake to friends and school mates…
Was a student too who loved to read a lot!

 From among my childhood memories: Those
 Times when my family and I'd donate
 And give away many of our clothing
 To the Muslims who were in a dire state -

 Muslims in Chechnya and Palestine,
 Those in Bosnia and other countries –
I too recall the multinational
 Charity food bazaars held at WAMY.

 So you see, mashaAllah, God let me
 Befriend people from different countries –
With us frequently changing apartments –
We’ve befriended colorful families.

 More from my childhood memories include:
 Riding ships, camels, a carriage with steeds,
 Classic trains in Europe, monorail trains,
 And in Disneyland a fun submarine.

 Strangers I still remember from my past:
 An Arab calling out to his mommy,
 In the airport –I think, Heathrow airport-
In the playground: “Mama, ana monkey!”

And in Madinah after praying at
 A well-known masjid –this cute old lady,
 Whom I knew not but hugged my Mom dearly,
 And gave her a ring with the letter ‘E’…
 ‘E’ for Emerald, ‘Eemaan’ or easy?

 And that lass, about my age, who on a
 Flight to Southeast of Asia sat near me,
 While my family were seated in front
 Of us –due to lack of space, I believe.

 She was Indonesian I guess who worked
 As a helper and spoke Arabic nicely,
 So together we chatted throughout the
 Flight in Arabic about so many.

 More sweet memories: the running games I
 Played with friends at the schools I have been to,
 And that time when my Arab friends chose me
 To draw some art to decorate the school,

 How some Saudi girls complimented on my
 Handwriting, how many times I would buy…
Sweets and chocolate like Galaxy to
 Give my parents when from school I’d arrive.

 I remember too the birds we used to
 Frequently feed outside our window sill.
 And I remember buying a tank of
 Goldfishes that some girls at school did sell.

 I recall going to the huge pet store
 With my family in search of a pet,
 How this bunny was so friendly… how we
 Bought more fishes and fish food in the end.

 I remember too how often my Dad
 Would bring home a box of assorted cakes,
 And those months when I was bulimic –as
 A teen I went through that weird yet brief phase.

 Alhamdulillah, I no longer go
 Through any teenage eating disorder –
One lesson from that is: don’t take pills that
 Make you see a ‘fat’ you in the mirror.

 And always know that God Allah will not
 Judge you based on your outer appearance –
You’ll be asked about your intentions, your
 Good deeds and if you stayed away from sins.

 MashaAllah –more memories include
 Playing old PC and PlayStation games,
 Like Need For Speed, Rollercoaster Tycoon,
 Mortal Kombat, SIMS - back then was quite strange.

So AstaghfurAllah for all the sins
 Done out of ignorance or out of pride,
 May Allah forgive all of my mistakes –
May He the Most Forgiving forgive my sins,
The big and small –and too the ones I'd hide.
Ameen.

 Alhamdulillah for all the good times,
 Sweet memories from Allah the Most High.
 May Allah make the highest level in
 Heaven near Him the place where we abide.
 Ameen.

 What did you realize when you recall
 The good things that have happened in the past?
 That some memories stay, friends come and leave,
 Some stay, and that time’s flying way too fast?

 How you can remember many things, you
 Will be made to recall on Judgment Day –
If you were a good Muslim the good deeds
 You did –if not, how you spent life astray…

Collect as many good deeds as you can
 So that in Heaven you recall how you…
Tried to do only what is right while you
 Were pleased to be among the guided few.

Continue showing your love for Allah, dear Muslim,
Through good deeds, best manners, du'as and faith that is true,
Thank Allah for Islam and your sweet memories though they may be few.
What goes around comes around. Your deeds return to you.

Wasalaam~
Mariam Mababaya

Include all Muslims in your good du'as :)
May Allah the Most Merciful accept all our good deeds and our fasting, May Allah the Most Forgiving forgive all our sins, and May Allah the Almighty join us with His righteous friends in Firdaus/Heaven near Him and His beloved Messenger Muhammad sallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam. Ameen.
________________________________


 Wisdom Islamic School | Qur'an, Islamic, Arabic | English Medium |
Accredited by DepED | Available grades from kindergarten to 10th grade |
wisdom.edu.ph | Philippines |
Enrollment ongoing still welcoming new students :)