Tuesday 7 February 2017

POEM: Sharing Niqab Experience

In the Name of Allah
The Most Gracious The Most Merciful

    Alhamdulillah first time wearing niqab went well,
    It began as a dress code at a Saudi gov. school,
    Only when going outside to wear the complete veil.
    No problem with niqab back then save for some travels.

    I used to think niqab should be worn just in Saudi,
    My faith back then was not strong till Islam I studied.
    Back then I was conscious of wearing niqab fully,
    Was okay wearing it around many niqabis,

    But after research and advice from my dear parents,
    I’ve learned niqab is Wajib or at least encouraged.
    To remove niqab as Hajj pilgrims is evidence
    That niqab is Wajib, rewarding and important.

    Niqab is useful in a sense it prevents wrong gaze,
    It’s meant to promote modesty and strengthen one’s faith,
    To join those who strive to obey God’s Laws night and day,
    Distinguishing devout women from those led astray.

    Alhamdulillah I’m now a full-time niqaabi,
    Don’t mind if I’m the only one amongst hijabis.
    Not a big deal too if onlookers would stare at me.
    Another way of doing Da’wah indirectly.

    Negative reactions with niqab? Yes, a few times.
    ‘Aswang!’ or ‘Monster!’ I’ve been called once by a scared child,
    A few laughter here or there in public, day or night,
    Curious stares from those who see niqab for the first time.

    Even from some Muslim kids I’ve been asked ‘Why wear that?’
    My response: ‘I’m Muslim, faith stronger with the niqab.’
    I’ve been called ‘Ninja!’ by ignorant adults and brats,
    Their lack of travel and world knowledge I understand.

    Love niqab for Allah’s sake, dear niqabi sisters.
    All your sins are taken by each one of your mockers.
    Those who ridicule, think, they’ve never been travelers,
    They’re insecure, so through you they try to find laughter.

    Take pride in being of the ‘ghurabaa’ / strangers few,
    Humble to God, nice with likes, watchful of what you do,
    Adorned with manners and inner beauty that shines through,
    Praying you enter Jannah and Allah welcomes you.

    May Allah the Most Merciful accept all our good deeds, forgive all our wrongdoings, answer our du'as and reunite us with our Muslim loved ones in the uppermost level of Heaven Jannatul Firdaus next to Him and His beloved Messenger Muhammad SallAllahu alaihi wa sallam. Allahumma Innaka 'Afuwwun Kareemun tuhibbul 'afwa fa'fu 'annaa. Ameen.
    Wasalaam~
    Mariam​
    ______________________