Monday 31 July 2017

POEM: Notes On Marriage Proposals

In The Name Of Allah
The Most Gracious The Most Merciful


Lessons from my past to share for Allah’s sake,
Reasons why I rejected some proposals -
From one of them I disliked his baby-faced,
My ignorance back then was quite colossal,

He was to work in Madinah at that time,
I was at fault for judging him by his looks -
Thirteen years old then, needed loads of advice,
 Bulimic teen, rebellious, misunderstood.

Another proposal from a childhood friend,
Who similarly came to our house to meet,
Said no to his request which I now resent,
Simply because he was years younger than me.

My dear parents - Allah yarhamhum. Ameen.
Turned down another guy’s proposal for me,
In U.S. he worked while I stayed in Saudi,
Not seeming pious then, they thought he’d mislead.

At eighteen or so I made a big mistake
Of rejecting this man’s proposal wrongly.
To memorize the whole Qur’an he did aim,
From a good family, friends, Pakistani.

The silly reason why I denied again,
Was my assumption he was too soft and shy,
Blame if you like, I was ignorant back then,
I did many wrongs and couldn’t tell what’s right.

Later on Allah taught me about Islam,
Alhamdulillah through learning I was changed.
Value of marriage I loved to understand,
Noble traits like patience made me change my ways.

At twenty I was married to my cousin,
Our marriage though not perfect brought forth lessons.
At twenty-six or so I became first wife,
Loved my husband for Allah more than desires.

Tips regarding marriage proposals, to guide:
Pray the Istikhaarah prayer then decide.
To say yes or no it’s every woman’s right,
While recalling not to judge upon first sight.

Don’t do the wrongs I did. Do learn from mistakes.
On feeling attracted, choose the halal way,
Marry for Allah’s sake, complete your deen/faith,
Keep learning and applying Islam each day.

To parents or guardians of those who’ll marry:
Don’t expect perfection from anybody,
As you yourselves have flaws like everybody.
Don’t demand huge dowries. Make marriage easy.

In-laws don’t need to be from the same country,
Nor be the same socially / financially.
Beauty in diversity / large families.
Understand your kids, they’re the ones to marry.

Marriage is a blessed gift which Allah made
To unite souls who’ll exchange love lawfully,
A journey of loving lessons to God’s Way,
One of the means that strengthen spiritually.
___________________

May Allah Almighty make us among His righteous friends whom He will welcome in Jannatul Firdaus near Him and His beloved Messenger Muhammad SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam. Ameen.

Muslim Marrying Up To Four In Islam
Accepting Husband's Choice To Marry Up To Four Wives

www.youtube.com/infowishes (old youtube channel)
Wasalaam~